Another week rolls on and we’re back with 20 Questions, this time with star defender Joe Fletcher.
Fletcher has been with the Lizards for the past three years, being one of the main catalysts to lead the defensive front. During their 2015 Championship run, Fletcher received the Warrior Defensive Player of the Year award to go along with being named to the MLL All-Star game and MLL All-Team.
In 2016, Fletcher was second on the team with 51 ground balls scooped up. In addition, his lockdown style-of-play forced 9 turnovers, the second most on the Lizards.
A standout amongst the back line, Fletcher’s role as the enforcer has elevated and improved the Lizards defense as a whole.
Instead of locking up attackmen, Fletcher has been challenged to step out of his comfort zone and answer your questions. See which ones we chose to go along with his answers below:
1. If Lacrosse didn’t exist, what would you be doing right now? –
Submitted by Ryan P.
JF: I would try to play basketball (but I wouldn’t be very good at it).
2. What does it feel like to do something you love everyday and get paid to do? –
Submitted by Dominic T.
JF: It is a dream come true to still play lacrosse after college.
3. When and why did you start playing lacrosse? –
Submitted by Toby P.
JF: I started playing when I was 5 years old. I played because my dad played it and it is a popular sport in Syracuse, NY.
4. Did anyone ever tell you that you couldn’t become a pro lacrosse player? –
Submitted by Michaela T.
JF: Yes. I also had people tell me I couldn’t play college lacrosse at a competitive level.
5. If you didn’t play defense what position would you play? –
Submitted by AJ L.
JF: Midfield – wouldn’t be any good but would like to run around.
6. Which is your favorite power ranger? –
Submitted by Ashley L.
JF: I was not a big power ranger fan growing up.
7. What attributes do you like the most with goalies you play with? –
Submitted by Damon W.
JF: A goalie that communicates well. Drew Adams is a perfect example of this!
8. Fletch, tell us how you REALLY feel about Brian Spallina. –
Submitted by Greg “Beast”
JF: Haha, I love Brian. He’s a great teammate.
9. What’s your favorite place that you’ve traveled to? –
Submitted by Steve N.
JF: The Maroon Bells in the White River National Forest.
10. Who are some of the hardest attackmen in the MLL to cover? And what are their assets that make it challenging to guard them? –
Submitted by Jonathon R.
JF: Any attackman that knows their strengths and executes them well.
11. What is your favorite check to throw? Poke, trail, cross, etc. –
Submitted by Jeff B.
JF: Poke or any check on the bottom hand.
12. Will you ever get social media? –
Submitted by Jordan Y.
JF: Haha probably not.
13. What is the Lizard’s game plan for the season opener on 4.22.17? –
Submitted by the Chesapeake Bayhawks.
JF: Have more goals than the Bayhawks at the end of the game.
14. Favorite food? –
Submitted by James M.
JF: Homemade apple pie.
15. Do you think you could be better at face offs than Greg Gurenlian? –
Submitted by Zach P.
16. What do you do to practice by yourself other than wall ball? –
Submitted by Garrett W.
JF: I try to run as much as I can.
17. 1v1 or team defense. Which do you like to practice more? –
Submitted by Phil T.
JF: Team defense.
18. Who is your favorite lax player that isn’t on NY? –
Submitted by Ben J.
JF: My younger brother that plays college lacrosse right now.
19. Was there a lacrosse player that you looked up to as a young player? –
Submitted by Kate R.
JF: My neighbor back in Syracuse and various other West Genesee Alumni.
20. Favorite sport besides lacrosse? –
Submitted by Marc M.
JF: Toss up between basketball and hockey.
We appreciate the great questions from our fans as well as Joe for his awesome answers!
To send in your questions for players in weeks ahead, give a follow to New York Lizards on
Instagram and Snapchat (@nylizards). Use our hashtag, #20QTuesday, to stay connected and join the fun!
New York Lizards Season Tickets are now available. For more information, call 1-855-NYLizards. Individual game tickets will go on sale at the end of January.