New Year, same awesome game with our players. This week, defenseman Kyle Hartzell wanted to take a stab at 20 Questions with our fans.
Kyle sits on a star-studded roster of defenseman as an LSM, but unlike most of his teammates, his is a HUGE scoring threat as well. To be specific, he ranks sixth All-Time in Lizards history for two-pointers scored. The only other active player on the Lizards that is ranked with two-pointers for New York is Paul Rabil.
In 2016, Kyle played in all 14 regular season games plus the semi-final scorcher in Fairfield, CT. In that time, he racked up four goals and 48 groundballs.
Now, Kyle has taken some time out of being awesome on the field to answer our fans’ questions:
1. What are some defense drills that you do to train? –
Submitted by Devin H.
KH: Footwork drills, and speed and agility is something I rely heavily on. Speed kills!
2. What's it like to get drafted coming from a D3 school and what did you do to make that happen/establish yourself on the highest level? -
Submitted by Sam T.
KH: Hard Work and dedication! Everyday I work extremely hard to keep my skill level and athleticism in check in order to play at the speed in the MLL and internationally.
3. Will Fletch ever join social media? -
Submitted by Jason L.
4. What's the best way to defend a freight train attackman like Myles Jones? -
Submitted by Jeff B.
KH: Go over his head.
5. What's the most important part of being an LSM? -
Submitted by Gavin B.
KH: LSM's are the best athletes on the field so working on being quick is key to becoming a great LSM.
6. What else would you do if lacrosse didn't exist? -
Submitted by Jackson S.
KH: Probably be in the military.
7. Who did you idolize growing up? -
Submitted by Ian P.
KH: My father. He pushed me to be the very best I could be.
8. I am a small player. What are some tips for defending bigger players? -
Submitted by Torstein D.
KH: Get low and push on the hips...low man wins.
9. Favorite sport besides lax? -
Submitted by Will M.
10. What do you think are the 3 most important things to focus on when playing lacrosse at any level? -
Submitted by Tyler K.
KH: Working Hard, Dedication, Being a great teammate.
11. Pie or cake? -
Submitted by Cardo G.
12. How did you like SU? -
Submitted by Will S.
KH: Loved it!! Great spot to go to school that has a lot of success and history around their program.
13. Do you have any dogs? -
Submitted by Frasier C.
KH: Yes, two Dogo Argentinos - Hank and Harper.
14. When did you start playing and why did you start playing? -
Submitted by Toby P.
KH: 9th grade year. Looked like an awesome sport so I dove right in.
15. Toughest player to play defense against? -
Submitted by Mike K.
KH: Mikey Powell my rookie season. I guarded him; I think he had 10 goals.
16. How did you find out you wanted to be a defenseman? -
Submitted by Frankie L.
KH: I got switched to LSM from a middie in junior college because we were short on poles...I guess it worked out for me.
17. How did you become such a scoring threat as an LSM? -
Submitted by Tim P.
KH: I work every week on shooting and dodging with a long stick. Only way to get better is getting reps in!
18. Favorite type of lax stick? -
Submitted by Heidi S.
KH: Currently Warrior Warp and an Evo diamond handle.
19. Ravens or Steelers? -
Submitted by Steve K.
KH: Ravens all day
20. Favorite pre-game meal? -
Submitted by Tanner P.
KH: Something small - Turkey sandwich or PBJ
We appreciate the great questions from our fans as well as Kyle for his answers! To send in your questions for players in weeks ahead, give a follow to the New York Lizards on
Instagram and Snapchat (@nylizards). Use our hashtag, #20QTuesday, to stay connected and to join in the fun!
New York Lizards Season Tickets are now available. For more information, call 1-855-NYLizards. Individual game tickets will go on sale at the end of January.